Happy New Year! Here is our net worth update as of January 1, 2016. You may have noticed that I did not publish our December numbers, so I have included those as well.
The last couple of months have been great personally— but financially, not so much.
I debated about increasing the value I am reporting for our house, but I have decided to hold the value steady, to be on the conservative side. The markets have not been kind and the only thing that has kept us moving forward has been aggressive payments towards our mortgage.
Here is our net worth update as of January 1, 2016
And as of December 1, 2015… Hold your nose!
*Does not include automobiles, company pension (!), our freezer stockpile, education savings, the loose change in the sofa etc.
Last year I set 2 goals:
- I would like our net worth to start with an 8 by the end of the year. Done!
- Find a way to balance all the demands in my life. Was I successful ? Not sure. I was not specific enough with this goal – need to set SMART goals.
So this year:
- Our mortgage balance will be $142,000 by the end of the year. (A $19,000 reduction )
- Our savings will be + $55,000. (Balance of $518,00 by Jan 1, 2017)
- We will save $5,000 towards the kids education funds. ( I don’t include this money in our net worth but will track.)
- I will purge 1 item a day from our household stuff-hoard.
- I will find ways to “economize” to generate savings of $650 a month to pay for our new roof. (Pursuit of Frugal, here we go.)
- I will track my food intake and exercise with my Lose It app (No affiliation). I downloaded this app in November and it is awesome and I have lost 8 pounds. You go girl!
Messy Money Goals:
- I want to change the theme of this site. I have fallen out of love with current one.
- I want to post more often – once a week. That may mean shorter posts, more random ramblings and scheduled posts.
- I want to be online less. Less surfing, less twittering, less blog promotion. Will this be the death-blow for Messy Money? I don’t know.
What else has happened?
This is turning into a giant post of lists but here goes:
- I have started job searching.
- I survived Christmas. My credit card bill will be brutal. We had a serious butter mishap on Christmas day, but I will talk about that another time.
- I started taking vitamin D. It might be placebo effect but I credit it with making me feel fantastic.
- I binge watched Making a Murderer on Netflix. All 10 episodes! I can’t stop thinking about it. It is binge worthy and I won’t spoil it for you but I have to say it is one of the most interesting, anger inducing, sad and shocking documentaries I have ever seen.
Thank you for visiting and best wishes for 2016.