I was calling these posts The Pursuit of Thrift but I never liked that title so I am pleased to introduce the Pursuit of Frugal.
I have travelled a lot for work and I arrived home Thursday night and promptly came down with a bad case of the stomach flu. I am now behind at work, laundry is multiplying and threatening to smother us while we sleep if the dust bunnies don’t get us first and I am cranky. I would ask for a little cheese with my whine, but honestly I don’t think I can stomach any dairy right now.
I just finished downloading our September transactions into Quicken
and it is not pretty. Our monthly spending was $2,000 above normal. Why?
- Hockey fees were due this month (over $1,000)
- Back to school
- A family wedding
- Family Christmas (yes, you read that right)
I still managed to find a few frugal hacks last month:
- I partially cut the cable. I kept the basic $14.99 cable package just to avoid hookup fees in the event the house descended into anarchy. I bought a Roku® Streaming Player to replace the cable and so far so good. We are going through an adjustment period but I feel confident that we will be able to go cable free now. The one problem we do have is that we no longer have access to Nascar races. This is a problem. In protest, my family has watched Talladega Nights – The Ballad of Ricky Bobby on a continuous loop. What can I say? “Shake and Bake!” We will be saving $100 a month.
- I cashed in my hotel rewards points to pay for our hotel at the out of the town wedding we attended. I also stole all the unclaimed centerpieces to sell at our next yard sale. Shameless! (The bride did not mind – honestly!)
- I used some of our credit card cash-back to pay for a tune-up for my car. I don’t know how much more time my car has on this earth but I want her final years to be good ones.
- Price matching! My new obsession is price matching. You do not want to be the person standing behind me in line at Wal-Mart. Since I don’t own a smart phone, I have to price match the old fashion way with paper flyers. I am that crazy woman with 40 flyers in my shopping cart. Yee-haw! I will give a full report after our grocery bill has normalized with back to school.
Overall it was a disappointing month spending wise. No frivolous purchases or anything but just a lot of extra expenses all hitting at the same time. More of the same expected for October due to some house repairs and Halloween. Also it is time to start planning for Christmas part 2.
Sorry for the short post but I am going to go curl up on the sofa now with my soda crackers and ginger ale. Thanks for reading.